Oostpoort (Delft, The Netherlands)

The Oostpoort (Eastern Gate) in Delft, the Netherlands was established in the 1400s as part of the eastern wall which is connected to the eastern bridge. The main purpose of Oostpoort was to guard the eastern part of the city against invaders. In 1510 a reconstruction of the towers were made. In 1962 to 1964 the Eastern-Gate underwent a major restoration and it transformed into a double apartment house but after a while both houses were put together for greater space in the living room. This is the only city gate remaining in Delft. The others were demolished in the 19th century.

Canal à la Oostpoort à Delft, Pays-Bas

Canal at the Oostpoort in Delft, The Netherlands

Order Digital Image 13.140 on A4 scale

Eastern Gate in Delft, The Netherlands

Oostpoort in Delft, The Netherlands

Oostpoort in Delft, The Netherlands

Order Digital Image 13.141 on A4 scale

Östliches Tor in Delft, Niederlande

Gatekeeper of the Oostpoort in Delft, The Netherlands

Gatekeeper of the Oostpoort in Delft, The Netherlands

Order Digital Image 13.142 on A4 scale

Puerta Oriental en Delft, Países Bajos

Oostpoort widziany z Oosteinde w Delft w Holandii

Oostpoort seen from Oosteinde in Delft in the Netherlands

Order Digital Image 13.143 on A4 scale

In the old times it became an object of inspiration among famous Dutch painters. Since the 19th century, where most of the gate towers were torn from Delft, the Oostpoort was the only Gated Tower that survived through the test of time. Until in 1988 it became open to public as a tourist spot.

荷兰代尔夫特的东大门

De Oostpoort (r.k. Jenaplanschool in Delft, Nederland)

De Oostpoort (Catholic Jenaplanschool in Delft, The Netherlands)

Order Digital Image 13.144 on A4 scale

البوابة الشرقية في دلفت ، هولندا

Kleine Oostpoortbrug bij de Oostpoort in Delft, Nederland

Small Oostpoort Bridge at the Oostpoort in Delft, The Netherlands

Order Digital Image 13.145 on A4 scale

Oostpoort in Delft, Nederland

Geschichte des Oostpoort in Delft, Niederlande

History of the Oostpoort in Delft, The Netherlands

Order Digital Image 13.146 on A4 scale

From a rural village in the early Middle Ages, Delft developed into a city, that in the 13th century (1246) received its charter. The town’s association with the House of Orange started when William of Orange (Willem van Oranje), nicknamed William the Silent (Willem de Zwijger), took up residence in 1572. At the time he was the leader of growing national Dutch resistance against Spanish occupation, known as the Eighty Years’ War. By then Delft was one of the leading cities of Holland and it was equipped with the necessary city walls to serve as a headquarters. An attack by Spanish forces in October of that year was repelled.

Восточные ворота в Делфте, Нидерланды

荷兰代尔夫特的大门

The Gate of Delft, The Netherlands

Order Digital Image 13.147 on A4 scale

Porte Orientale à Delft, Pays-Bas

Oostpoortbrug in Delft, Nederland

Oostpoort Bridge in Delft, The Netherlands

Order Digital Image 13.148 on A4 scale

The Delft Explosion, also known in history as the Delft Thunderclap, occurred on 12 October 1654 when a gunpowder store exploded, destroying much of the city. Over a hundred people were killed and thousands were wounded. About 30 tonnes (29.5 long tons; 33.1 short tons) of gunpowder were stored in barrels in a magazine in a former Clarissen convent in the Doelenkwartier district. Cornelis Soetens, the keeper of the magazine, opened the store to check a sample of the powder and a huge explosion followed. Luckily, many citizens were away, visiting a market in Schiedam or a fair in The Hague.

पूर्वी गेट डेल्फ़्ट में, नीदरलैंड

Oostpoort visto da Piccolo Ponte Oostpoort a Delft, Paesi Bassi

Oostpoort seen from the Small Oostpoort Bridge in Delft, The Netherlands

Order Digital Image 13.149 on A4 scale

Gerbang Timur di Delft, Belanda

Do you want to visit Delft? Visit Netherlands Travel and book your trip easy and cheap online